by Dan Rubenstein
What is, “Rolling the dice that networks will want to broadcast BYU Football?”
• BYU wants to be Miss Independent. Allegedly. Rumor has it. ESPN’s Andy Katz has a good rundown of the story that may or may not have started on a hacked official Colorado State Twitter feed.
IF the story has legs, it’s probably a decent move for the school – they already have their own network (that I can’t imagine any non-Mormon watches) distributed on national satellite and some west coast cable systems, and can probably make more money than they did in the MWC if they schedule well. Not that it’d be too difficult to get more exposure than the Mountain West has now.
A BCS guarantee is still tricky – not sure if BYU has the same allure that Notre Dame does (or at least, did) on a national level.
• Lane Kiffin says USC has to start planning now for the seasons in which USC will be most affected by the loss of up to 30 scholarships, and one of the things they’re considering is having certain players play both ways.
So if I’m to get this straight, Lane Kiffin wants to double the chances of injury, fatigue, and cratering an already-thin depth chart in the hopes that his best athletes can carry the program through the dark ages both it and he will soon face? The Duck fan in me rejoices, but the (very) small human fan just got douche chills. (via SbB)
• Michigan CB Troy Woolfolk is out for the season after dislocating his ankle. The depth at DB, especially corner, was already razor thin, so this is obviously a huge blow.
As far as I can tell, the only real solution is bringing back some sort of incarnation of Biff, the live wolverine that briefly served as the school’s mascot in the 20s before it was deemed too unpredictable and ferocious. The solution? “Accidentally” release Biff during the visiting team’s walkthrough and hope he nicks a receiver. Or five.
• Mike Leach was interviewed by Richard Deitsch of SI.com about Texas Tech, his upcoming TV gig with CBS College Sports, and his future in coaching. Nothing especially remarkable here, but Leach hasn’t spoken to anyone extensively in some time, so you might as well put on yerr peg leg and give er’ a read.
• Tennessee released a video of its players interviewing each other and having a good time during the team’s media day. It’s kind of long, but it made me want a slushee, so you know I’m all in. (via EDSBS)
• Jeremy Bloom, the former Colorado receiver, Olympic skier, brief NFL receiver, and Abercrombie model, was on something called The Daily Line and demolished Nick Saban and the NCAA. I enjoyed it, Ty thought it was a disgusting act. Ok, I made up Ty’s reaction. Or did I?
Today’s random video comes to us from the always dependable folks at America’s Funniest Videos. It’s people having physical mishaps on water slides. I don’t know why, but things become 57% funnier when you see that cheesy date watermark on an old video, and this doesn’t disappoint.
Enjoy your Wednesday.